The Mark and Kellie Carter Scholarship Fund
Administered by the Passport Foundation
5100 Commerce Crossings Drive
Louisville, KY 40229-2128
The Passport Foundation created the Mark and Kellie Carter Scholarship Fund in 2018 to inspire Kentucky students who are the first in their family to obtain postsecondary education or skills-based training. Passport Health Plan CEO Mark Carter and his wife Kellie were honored to lend their names to the scholarship fund and have provided generous contribution to establish this important educational initiative aimed at breaking the cycle of poverty through education.
This is a one-year scholarship opportunity, renewable for a second year through a second application round.
The scholarship can provide tuition assistance, books, school-related supplies and, based upon need, assistance with food, transportation, and/or child care (up to $2,500.00 USD total) for individuals pursuing training in a certified technical trade or two-year degree.
The scholarship package includes:
- Access to an educational and professional mentor
- Laptop computer
- Stipend to cover textbook and/or supply expenses
- Additional support to cover other gaps of need, such as childcare, food and/or transportation assistance *(must be approved by program staff).
The goal of this program is to help aspiring Kentuckians avoid unemployment, escape the cycle of poverty and positively influence their families and local communities.
Students graduating from high school in spring semester and non-traditional students are encouraged to apply.
Non-traditional students must meet at least one of the following criteria to be eligible:
- Have delayed their enrollment in postsecondary education for more than one year and for reasons other than a planned gap year
- Have dependents other than a spouse
- Be financially independent from their parents, as determined by their institution’s financial aid office.
- Completed a GED at the College Ready level or high school equivalent
Proof of enrollment and/or official transcripts may be required as a condition of the scholarship. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
The Passport Foundation recognizes Dell® for their generous contribution of laptop computers to the Mark and Kellie Carter Scholarship Fund.